Toshiba Materials and Kyocera Agree to Collaborate on Development and Production of Nitride Ceramic Components
12 June 2017
Kyoto/London - Toshiba Materials Co., Ltd. (President: Kumpei Kobayashi) and Kyocera Corporation (President: Hideo Tanimoto) announced that the two companies have agreed to start full-scale collaboration on development and production of nitride ceramic components.
Used as heat-dissipating and insulating parts in power semiconductors, demand is increasing for nitride ceramic components possessing excellent thermal conductivity and mechanical properties as energy-saving requirements heighten in the automotive and railway industries. It is also expected that adoption of nitride ceramics will expand in semiconductor production equipment (SPE) as they enable precise temperature control at higher temperatures in the production process.
The two companies decided to work together in order to blend the material technologies on nitride ceramics possessed by Toshiba Materials with the special ceramic processing technologies possessed by Kyocera. The collaboration aims to achieve higher competitiveness in the ceramics market by providing highly functional products such as power semiconductor components with high heat-dissipating properties, and components for SPE that allow precise temperature control under high temperatures — both of which cannot be realized with conventional technologies.
The two companies have been working on joint development of power semiconductors and components for SPE since 2014. Having obtained good results from trial products developed out of the joint project, the companies have decided to launch full-scale collaboration. Based on this agreement, the companies will seek further possibilities through collaboration and synergy to accelerate development and commercialization by organizing a working team and joint investment.
For more information on Toshiba Materials:
Toshiba Materials Co., Ltd. was demerged from Toshiba Corporation in 2003. With material designing technology as a core, Toshiba Materials has supplied key material and key components which support development of society. Main products are metallic materials, components, fine ceramics parts and chemical materials. During the year ended March 31, 2017, the company’s net sales totaled 14 billion yen (approx. USD127 million).
Toshiba Materials Co.,Ltd. (Japan)
HR & Administration Group
Kenji Suzuki, +81-(0)3-3457-4874
For more information about Kyocera: www.kyocera.eu
- Press Release (pdf) (186.20 KB)
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- KYOCERA Files Suit Against Preh GmbH for Potential Infringement of Haptic Feedback Technology Patent
- KYOCERA to Build New Plant in Kagoshima, Japan, for Ceramic Microelectronic Packages
- KYOCERA’s New Air-Cooled UV Curing Light is World’s Smallest, Lightest and Most Powerful
- KYOCERA TCL Solar begins operation of Japan’s largest 13.7MW Floating Solar Power Plant
- KYOCERA Introduces New Z-series Clock Oscillators
- Innovative, beautiful, durable: KYOCERA presents high-quality kitchen tools demonstrating the advantages of its ceramic technology
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 21.1 MW Solar Power Plant on Repurposed Land in Japan
- KYOCERA and 7 Other Companies Announce Progress of Development Plan for Max. 480-Megawatt Solar Power Project
- KYOCERA Introduces Irish Claddagh Ring Designed by Paul Costelloe, Using Hypoallergenic COBARION
- KYOCERA Receives Japan Environment Minister’s Award for Record 8th Consecutive Year
- KYOCERA Develops Some of World’s Smallest Multilayer Ceramic Capacitors for Mobile Devices
- KYOCERA to Expand Medical Product Development
- KYOCERA Breaks Ground on New Manufacturing Plant for Ceramic Structural Components in Kagoshima, Japan
- For the thirty-third time in its history, the Inamori Foundation has conferred the Kyoto Prize to researchers who have contributed to the fields of “Advanced Technology”, “Basic Science” and “Arts and Philosophy”
- A dream kitchen present under the Christmas tree